Re: gdb/Insight 5.3 really slow when stepping - patch submitted togdb-patch list

Hi ....

insight-owner@sources.redhat.com wrote on 23.05.2003 15:15:48:

> > [description of gdb_find_file_command() patch]
>
> I'll have to think about this, but when you put it that way, it does
> rather sound like the stat idea isn't altogether out of place. Let me
> give it some thought.
Ok.. I hope you are coming to the same conclusion then me...

> > Yes I use the current gdb of cygwin (20030303), with a bunch of changes
> > to allow Objective C debugging. But it is also slow without these changes.
>
> Hmm. Maybe there's a problem in the symbol readers for ObjC? Maybe
> there's just TONS of symbols. Admittedly, I don't use Insight for much
> else other than small dynamic modules and gdb itself. So maybe your
> large environment is causing the problems, too. (Sigh -- there's no easy
> way to know, is there?)
Unfortunately not. But maybe it is related to Objective-C... And the huge amount
of code we have... I am not really familiar with gdbs internals. I just applied the
Objective C Patches from time to time to the individual current version which caused
more or less work, so I am not 100% virgin to gdbs internals but far away from
being a guru here....

> In any case, it seems like short-circuiting lookup_symtab in gdb_find_file might be appropriate.
I think so too. I designed the patch that way that if stat() fails it goes the normal way thru
lookup_symtab() so no bad side effects should be feared.

> > PS: I fixed another bug in gdbtk, where the filecombobox in the sourcewindow
> > is not always showing all files. After doing a dynamic load the filenames
> > which are brought by the newly loaded lib where missing.The fix apears
> > to be easy. Where should I direct it to (the insight list or gdb-patch)?
>
> Yes, submit to this (insight) list. I officially own libgui (see
> src/MAINTIANERS). Unless the patch is pretty trivial, you will need an
> FSF assignment...
I think this would be no problem...
Anyway my patch for this is just adding 2 lines to srcwin.itb.
I will submit it separately and of course I am not claiming any rights
on my patches...

Roland