Re: Insight-5.2.1, msgfmt, & CYGWIN

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 12:18, Duane Ellis wrote:
> I need to back port some inhouse ARMulator enhancments to a version of
> insight that builds & runs under CYGWIN.

Yich. 5.2.1? I feel your pain. (But not that much. I always encourage
people to use CVS until the next release, which will contain stock
tcl/tk8.4.) Despite some small drawing problems (mumble mumble
checkboxes mumble mumble), it is much better than using the old tcl/tk
8.3, which were entirely unusable on cygwin. (I presume that's why
you're going all the way back to 5.2.)

> I am following the steps on the /cygwin.html page - checked out and
> reverted all the files - ran ./configure and now I'm trying to compile
> insight. It stops looking for a "msgfmt" program.

Insight isn't looking for it: BFD is. And it isn't just cygwin. ALL
platforms need msgfmt installed to compile bfd. One also needs perl (for
opcodes/), libtool if building shared, a compiler, linker, assembler,
etc. Ok, so I am exaggerating a bit, but not by much.

It is not possible for me to track every dependency all the packags that
a required to build insight. I don't, for example, see suggestions like
this go to the gdb mailing list or the gimp and mozilla mailing lists.

I hardly work on Insight any more to begin with (oh, boy, but I get to
free technical support for untold numbers of commercial vendors. Despite
my redhat.com address, I do NOT get paid to do anything insight-related;
much like Chris Faylor and Corinna Vinschen with cygwin).

Ugh. Rant mode kicked in. Nonetheless, your comments do not fall on deaf
ears. I will try to make a FAQ entry for this. Hmm. I thought that I
already posted some minimal FAQ on building Insight. I guess not. (Or at
least nothing is showing up on the web server. Maybe I forgot to check
something in? Ugh. I'm getting old.)