question about run download sequence

I am running the arm-elf-gdb version of gdb and I have problems running once
I have downloaded the elf file.

I can open the file, add breaks, connect to target, and download the file.
The problem comes when I run the file. It tries to download the file over
and over. The program gets stuck in the target setting dialog box and is
unrecoverable at this point.I have to kill the program and restart it. I
have tried arm elf format and srec format with the same result.

Any hints on the causes like file format, etc, would be welcomed.

Thanks in Advance

Aaron Case