Re: Getting an insight 6.1 executable on Cygwin

On 9 Jul 2004 at 13:38, Keith Seitz wrote:

BTW, my build just finished, and yes your patch works! Thanks!

> > If you can make a version of Insight that can use any version tcl/tk, I would
> > bet that others would be interested in this. I know that several people would
> > love to be able to put together a GDB/Insight (usually for cross toolsets)
> > with host=mingw and to get it *away* from requiring Cygwin. Having Insight
> > require Cygwin's tcl/tk libs is a big PIA.
>
> Unfortunately, it will be impossible to completely get away from cygwin:
> gdb requires it. And since Insight requires gdb, insight is also a
> cygwin app.

I knew that insight->gdb->cygwin, but is that the only dependency? I'm sorry, I
don't know enough about the architecture of Insight.

In other words, if gdb could be built without cygwin, then is it true that
insight could be built without cygwin?

Doing a cygcheck on the the insight executable, I get tcl84.dll depending on
cygwin1.dll. I would have thought that this implies that insight, being the
tcl/tk part, is directly dependent upon cygwin as well.

> Of course, I've heard rumors that people are attempting to write
> mingw-"native" extensions to gdb, but I admit that I've not followed it
> too much.

I haven't heard much either about a concerted effort to get gdb host=mingw.

> In the end, I believe it's the "right thing to do". Since I'm the (sole)
> maintainer (ignore gdb/MAINTAINERS), I can do whatever I want! :-P

More power to you!

Eric