Re: Insight release schedule

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 05:32, Sefer Tov wrote:
> I was wondering whether insight is still under active development (it would
> be a great shame if such an excellent tool will lose further development
> focus) and whether I should expect a new version unleashed soon (any
> estimates?) - aren't gdb & insight development cycles closely tied together?

Unfortunately, Red Hat and the FSF have been unable to iron out there
differences about getting insight officially contributed, so I am only
answering email. (Ok, very occasionally will I actually do something. It
happens. I get the urge. :-)

Aside from me, there is really only one other insight developer, and
he's gotten very busy and unable to contribute as much as he would like.

There are no public contributors to this project. Even if there were, I
have no idea how to deal with the approval mess. [Contributors would
need to sign some sort of release with Red Hat instead of the FSF.]

As far as I am concerned, Red Hat, the FSF, and the community have
spoken volumes about where they'd like to see insight go.

Right now, if there is to be any more insight work, it will probably
entail abandoning the current code base in favor of a new, GNU-only
(sans-Red Hat) version. Once again, unlike all the other GUIs out there,
the goal would be for speed. Being built-in to gdb would be a
requirement.

Alas, I don't think I would get nearly as much support as I would like
to undergo such a large undertaking, and I haven't really found the time
to try it.

As for releases, I'm guessing the gdb maintainers have stopped
"releasing" tarballs of insight. [And who can blame them?] If you really
want to get the latest, hobbling-along-with-no-new-features release, I
suggest you check out the release branch from sources.redhat.com's CVS
repository. You can find the release branch tags on the gdb website in
the download area.

My apologies for the wreckage.