Re: Problem with Remote/Serial in Insight

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 10:03, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > Okay, so now what's the next step to start the stub executing?
>
> Simply for example "break 23" and then "cont". I think that's the
> normale way stubs work.

Aha! That's what I've been waiting to hear. Yes, that is exactly right:
the "normal" process for a stub is to set baud (if using serial),
attach, load (optional), and continue -- NOT run.

This is why I was so baffled when you said that your target preferences
had "attach" and "run" and not "attach" and "continue". In fact, the
reason the Target Settings dialog keeps reappearing is because of the
"Run" option set in your target settings. From the log you sent me:

I global gdbtk_attach_remote Attaching....
I global set_target {CONNECTING TO TARGET: remote /dev/ttyS14 }
I global run_executable {Setting new BP at main}
I global run_executable {Runnning target...}
W global run_executable {msg=Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".
}
I ManagedWin _open {TargetSelection -exportcancel 1 -center -transient}

>From this, I conclude that it attached to the target (remote
/dev/ttyS14), set a break at main, and attempted to RUN the target
(i.e., gdb's "run" command). This elicited an error ('Don't know how to
run. Try "help target".'), which caused the target selection dialog to
open again.

If you are having other problems while specifying "continue", then
that's a different problem that we need to address.