Re: Current Status of Insight

I, Hans Horn,  care too!
Pls add me to the list!
H.

Steven Johnson wrote:
It seems that there is at least 6 people that care:

(in no particular order, and sorry if i list you and you dont really
care)

1. Keith Seitz
2. Duane Ellis
3. Roland Schwingel
4. Paul Schlie
5. Christopher Faylor
6. Steven Johnson (me)
And Maybe (although it is less than clear from their posts):
7. Nickolay Kolchin
8. Jon Beniston

Anybody else care to add their name to this list of people that care
about, or at the very least use a version of insight and would like to
see it continue in some form.

If we cant join em (FSF GDB and RH Insight) why dont we just fork em?

We could go to Sourceforge, do a checkout of insight CVS Head, move
development over to there, and at least then it can progress, we can
cut releases, etc. Official insight can stay here, and do whatever
its going to. If the FSF and RH ever feel like getting together on this
they can, and we could merge back our changes.

We track official GDB (ie merge GDB CVS with our tree daily), and
release (close to synch with it), but are really independent from it.

To the extent anyone cares, insight would continue to be (visibly)
maintained and survive. If people really stopped caring it would die,
at least we could attempt to attract new users (1 or 2 of which might
even contribute something useful), as there would be "stable"
releases, synched to official GDB the attraction would be greater. It does seem like most of the people that care are using it for
embedded programming, a few (maybe most) want it to work under
windows. (I use it under Linux). In the mean time, we would have a maintainable version.

CVS_Head of Insight, is that the same level of code as CVS_Head of
GDB? (ie, does it incorporate CVS_Head of GDB?)

As a minimum all that needs to happen is ensure that Insight continues
to build and function on top of current GDB.  And I think thats what
Keith is basically saying he does with CVS_Head, keep it building and
functional against CVS_Head of GDB, all im really proposing (as a
minimum) is making the process a little more transparent, and cutting
releases (maybe its more work than that? Keith?).

Anyway is this feasible, of interest, or a waste of time?

There are a lot of nify features a debugger targeted to embedded
systems could have, and insight could have them reasonably easily. We could even start re-writing the portions that are Red Hat copyright, over
time, if we felt like it. Any new code, could be put in new files and
assigned to the FSF, over time (maybe years) id suspect the RH code
would eventually disappear and it would all be assigned to the FSF.

The first thing to do, i would see is create a new project on
sourceforge, move the code over there, and cut a first (current)
version. Even if it isnt quite GDB 6.3, we could call it "insight
6.3D" or some such (D for development release). BTW, is "insight" a
RH trademark, would it need to be renamed. I always fancied
"oversight" :) Any new code, could be put in new files and assigned
to the FSF. over time (maybe years) id suspect the RH code would eventually
disappear and it would all be assigned to the FSF.

If this is something ive generated interest with (with others), I will
even invest in some web space for the project, so it can have its own
URL (at least for a year or two, depending on its life, and my
continued ability to fund it).

Keith, you seem to be the primary maintainer of insight, i dont want
to mess with your project here, so your comments are of significant
interest to me, in this regard.  I wouldnt like to see more "code
hostility" if forking is feasible, then we should do it in a
constructive way, for the benefit of all users, just to get rid of
some of the restrictions the code base currently seems to face.

Also, i realise that i seem to have jumped in here and stirred things
up, i have been an insight user for a long time, have submitted
various things in the past (cheers go out to Fernando Nasser if hes
listening). Its not my intention.  But if there are a lot of people
building insight from CVS_Head and then using it for real work, then
i thnk it should be kept going in a visible way, otherwise people
will think what i thought "insight is dead, boo hoo, how crappy",
when instead it is really just bubbling along under the surface, not
progressing in great leaps and bounds, but still breathing.

Steven Johnson