Re: Insight and Licencing of TCL/TK Code

Jon Beniston wrote:

Certainly if I were to submit TCL/TK code (which the way

  im going, im about to), i would not be assigning it's
  copyright to Redhat.

See:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/why-assign.html

Maybe he'd be happy to assign it to the FSF, but not to RedHat.

Precisely my point, I already have an assignment on file with the FSF for any submissions i make to GDB. I would consider changes to the TCL/TK Code of insight to be submissions to GDB. But the file has "Copyright Redhat". Im sure the code in those files isnt all from RedHat. So how can they claim the copyright for the whole file? I am happy to assign to the FSF.

BTW, I know the "Claim copyright to the whole file" is an accident of history, and not some nefarious plot or intentional scheme from the part of Redhat or Cygnus to disenfrancise contributors who thought they were contributing to GDB under assignments to the FSF. I dont blame Redhat for it, im just pointing out the difficulty moving forward of perpetuating it.

If we submit in future, should we wrap our TCL/TK submissions in "Portion Copyright FSF Start" and "End" so that in the event of a re-write of the rest down the line, at least the stuff that Redhat didnt author doesnt have to be re-invented.

It doesnt help anything else already in there that would fall under this cateogry, but maybe in future, we should consider it.

I also noticed this issue seems limited to the TCL/TK portions of insight, i havent noticed any Redhat copyrights in the C code that interfaces the core of GDB with the TCL/TK Code.

Steven.