Re: GDB Internal Errors/other messages.

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 09:47 -1100, Steven Johnson wrote:
> However, what i have experienced is if GDB sends messages through
> insight that insight isnt expecting.  Like Internal Errors, or even the
> verbose debug flags, then parts of Insight break, depending on when the
> error or message is sent.  It was far from intuitive to me why these
> popus were causing things like the symbol browser not to display.  Any
> hints? because i think its a bug that should be fixed, and id like to
> fix it!

Warning messages shouldn't interfere with the way insight works.
[Setting some internal gdb variable for debugging might, since gdb does
not have a generic debugging channel -- it just uses printf_filtered and
friends.] This is another one of those places where gdb should be fixed.

> Also, instead of them popping up, which can be really really really
> annoying, how about a feature change, so that errors/internal errors,
> etc, are routed to their own list window, and an icon appears on the
> main window somewhere, indicating errors have occured.  Click the icon
> and you go to the error/message list view.  Its just that if you get
> some of these errors, like the PSymTab one i am getting, it can make
> debugging all but impossible, because it occurs so much.

I agree, but for some class of fatal errors, we do want the dialog. I
guess this should only really happen when GDB asks the whole "continue
session? dump core?" questions. I believe those more serious "warnings"
go through a different route, so I guess that we could really just map
these internal error messages somewhere else (like a "warnings" window
or just insert them in the console window).

So now the question is should we just map every message that starts
"Internal error" to this alternate place? Would we miss anything? I
suspect not...

So, you've convinced me that your previous patch should be used in some
form. I'll check that in now, rerouting the message to the console
window. If you want to do the work of the whole warning window thing,
just submit when you're done.