Re: Can't build Insight with Cygwin

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 11:39:30PM -0000, Peter Rockett wrote:
>Although Insight seems to look for a number of things like gettext, at
>the end of the day it doesn't seem to actually need them to build.  So
>I think the minimal set of cygwin tools, apart from the base cygwin
>collection, is: gcc, make, bison, flex, tcl/tk (+ the dependencies
>which the cygwin installer figures-out for itself).  Certainly I fell
>down on bison & flex.  You could add autoconf and automake to that list
>although I am not sure they are essential - perhaps "recommended" might
>be a good description.
>
>(Perhaps you may also need to add an FAQ for us *cygwin* users to help
>us turn on our computers, tell us how to go to the bathroom, etc.!)

I don't think that a FAQ should include guesses about what is needed.
If it has been demonstrated that bison and flex are needed then
certainly they should be added.

If someone can prove that automake and autoconf (and I don't believe
that they are, actually) are needed then they can be added too.

Otherwise why make someone go to the effort of installing something if
they may not need it?

cgf