Re: autoconf version of itcl/tcl/tk subdirectories

Steve Ellcey wrote:
I was wondering if someone on this mailing list could help me understand
why the itcl, tcl, and tk subdirectories of the src tree are still using
autoconf 2.13.  My understanding is that these subdirectories are used
when building insight, is that correct?  That is why I am asking on this
email list.

Yes, tk and itcl are used solely by insight, afaik. Tcl, though, is used by almost everyone for dejagnu/testing.

Does anyone know any blocks to updating these directories to use
autoconf 2.59?

Not really. The reason they use 2.13 is because that's what tcl, tk, and itcl were released with. Tcl 8.4.13 (released 7 Mar) still uses autconf 2.13 still. However Tcl CVS HEAD (vintage 8.5 beta) uses 2.59.

Looks like a conversion wouldn't be too difficult using 8.5 code as a reference. [It's not quite as painless as just regenerating configure, though. I know -- I tried it with 8.4.12 when I dropped that into my build.]