Re: How to connect to running program via a serial port

Hi Keith, Thanks for your message. Neither of these techniques seem to
work for me. If I open the console window and type "target remote
/dev/ttyS0" the program seems to lock up. (The windows are present,
but not responding to any input). If I do Open File->Target Settings
etc. still have to use the "Run" command and this always continues the
execution of the program which is just what I don't want it to do.

The only way I seems to get it to work is to start Insight running
before the program wants to start talking to the debugger. This does
not really work for me because I'm using the serial port for program
trace information as well so I just want to start the debugger when I
can see from the trace that the program has got into trouble.

Thanks,

Nik

On 8/14/06, Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com> wrote:
Nik Shaylor wrote:
> So with gdb I just type:
>
>   target remote /dev/ttyS0
>
> and I can start debugging the, already running, program via the serial
> port.
>
> When I start Insight it thinks nothing is running and the only button
> that works us the "Run" command. How can I start Insight ina mode
> where it will thinks the program is already running?

You have two options:

1) Open a console window and type your gdb command in
2) Open File->Target Settings..., and select "Remote/Serial", enter buad
rate, com port. Use Run menu to attach to target. That should be all you
need.

[The Run button is a little more elaborate. In the target settings
dialog, you can specify what the run button does by clicking "More
options". Currently the run button will ALWAYS either "run" or
"continue" the target.]