Re: GDB/Insight bug: nexti for target ARM-ELF

Guillaume Savaton wrote:

The same behavior has been observed with the command-line interface and the GUI.

Wow, good work! I had already written a message suggesting that you try it with command-line gdb, but you've already done that. Usually these exec-related problems in insight are gdb problems, since Insight practically just does the equivalent of typing at gdb with this stuff.

Unfortunately my experience with gdb/insight has been limited to x86 linux for many years now, and gdb has changed rapidly since I last hacked on it. I will say this, though: one must be *very* careful about hand-coding assembler and trying to use it in a source debugger like gdb. Gdb must be able to recognize the boundaries of your "functions"/subprograms. In other words, they must look pretty C-like.

At one time, this used to mean that in order to debug, you had to write function prologues which gdb could parse. One thing to try (for the heck of it) is different debug info formats (you are telling the *assembler* to include debug info? "as -gFORMAT" or "gcc -Wa,-gFORMAT"). At one time, gdb was much better at dealing with assembler using stabs.

Good luck,