X11 stability with insight & gdb

Hello -

This is my first post to this list, so please redirect me if it's not a
good forum for my question.

I'm starting 'insight' from 'source-navigator' as a 'gdb' front end, and
using it to debug a native, multi-thread console application that runs in
my Linux environment.

Starting, running, and stepping through my application all work fine as
far as I can see. When I try to _stop_ the running program with the
run/stop icon, however, it crashes my X11 environment and ends my login
session. When I try to stop the program from the 'gdb' window, I get a
'Debugger busy' message and am ignored. When I try to stop the program
with a '^C' signal from insight's console window I am ignored.

When I run 'gdb' from 'emacs' ('gud' wrapper), it all works fine: I can
start, stop, restart, or kill by program from the 'gbd' window. (In that
setting the 'gdb' window is also the program's console window - which
may be significant here.)

I start 'source-navigator' from a GUI launcher in X11, start 'insight'
from the 'Debugger' panel in 'source-navigator', and start 'gdb' as an
insight configuration setting.

Any suggestions on dealing with my X11 session crashes?

Thanks.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu