Insight broken with latest tcl/tk

It would appear that insight no longer works with the latest tcl/tk.

The following error
Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the following directories:
    /usr/local/share/tk8.4 /usr/local/lib/tk8.4 /usr/lib/tk8.4
/usr/local/library /usr/library /usr/tk8.4.1/library /tk8.4.1/library

or similar seems to have been reported on several newsgroups / blogs etc
however I have never seen a solution.

Crucially I think we need to determine what "useable" means in this
context.  I certainly do have a tk.tcl file in /usr/local/share/tk8.4/,
which is included in that search path.

I am compiling this on Ubuntu 9.04.  I have previously successfully
compiled and run insight on a Ubuntu 8.10 host, targeted for both arm
and sh platforms.  Also, one Ubuntu 8.10 host which I upgraded to 9.04
still has both arm-elf and sh-elf targets working.

I specifically installed tk8.4-dev (rather than tk-dev) - note that
tk8.5 dev gives an error at compile time.

I also tried a snapshot of the latest insight sources, attempting to
build these gives me various undefined references at build time, I'll
list a few below:
c_parse
c_error
f_parse
f_error
objc_parse
java_error

>From google I see that this is broken on various platforms and it mainly
seems to be associated with the version of tk/tcl - but strangely I
can't fix it even by installing a specific version.