Re: 20090609-cvs bad on linux (build fail cygwin)

Gene Smith wrote:
But I thought insight has it *own* gdb that never changes? Anyhow, here
are the step I use to build it:

No, it does not. Insight CVS uses gdb CVS. Insight 6.8 uses gdb 6.8. It has its own versions of tcl, tk, itcl, etc, but those are now just copies of some release (currently 8.4, I think). Except on cygwin, I do not use the supplied versions of tcl et al anymore. I use the system-supplied versions on Fedora.

Kevin Buettner is working on updating tcl et al CVS on sourceware to the latest release.

Hopefully, this will help.

I will give this a go by the end of the week.

P/S: I am still a bit confused as to whether I should be using the "system" supplied tcl/tk or the tcl/tck code from insight. I think I am using insight's. If I should use the system tcl/tk, how do I do that?

You can use whatever version you would like to. It has been a goal of mine (for quite some time sadly) to eliminate our dependence on a sourceware-supplied tcl/tk/itcl. That requirement originally came in the days of Tcl 8.1, when we carried a bunch of local patches to Tcl. We didn't upgrade sourceware Tcl until 8.4 (or was it 8.3?) and our supplied version of Tcl became identical to upstream.

A little while ago, I got around to eliminating the requirement for sourceware-supplied Tcl. But it remains for historical reasons (and because cygwin still requires it). If we got cygwin "fixed", I guess we could just simply eliminate it altogether from the repo if no other project was using it.