Re: .gdbtkinit help

On 10/16/2010 09:59 AM, Timothy Jump wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and I only find the .gdbtkinit flie in the Home
directory. I thought there was to be a copy both in the directory where I
executed Insight (project directory) and in the Home directory but I only
ever see it in the Home directory.

When you start up Insight, open a console window and type:

"tk set ::pref_init_filename"

This will tell you where Insight thinks your init file is. From reading library/prefs.tcl, I see that it will look for .gdbtkinit (or gdbtk.ini on Windows) in $CWD (i.e., the directory from which you launched Insight). Failing that, it will fall back to $HOME.

Try moving .gdbtkinit from $HOME to $CWD and see if that works.

I was trying to create either
separate project directories within the same Home Directory, or set
different Users (ergo different Home directories) for each different project
so I could have Insight set up specifically for each target/project and not
need to go through the set-up each time.

You should be able to do this exactly as you proposed. I have tried this here ("mv ~/.gdbtkinit ."), and that works. I have also not had any problems saving my target preferences. So if you have more information on that, I would appreciate more details.

Insight keys the session off the name of the executable you are debugging. So if you debug several different executables, it will (should) save session information (breakpoints, arguments, for example). Of course, if all your executables are named the same (but exist for different architectures), you might be out of luck. I don't think we use architecture as a key.

If you can give me some more information about your setup, I might be able to offer other suggestions or even create some patches to help you. It would not surprise me too much if non-native preferences has bitrotted over the years. I only do native development nowadays.