Re: Patches for insight to work native on 64bit windows

On 03/14/2012 04:48 AM, Roland Schwingel wrote:

Some days ago I wrote that I am working myself on an insight version for
windows native 64bit (mingw-w64). I am quite far with it. It runs quite
fine here (both using gdb 7.4 and gdb head). I would like to send my
patches.

That is excellent news. I haven't had much luck with Cygwin at all lately, and I *really* wanted to get Linux, MinGW, and Cygwin working "well" for a release. Alas, I have been swamped lately.

For my personal version I am using tcl/tk 8.6 beta taken out of the
fossil repos from core.tcl.tk (with some small windows specific
changes). Insight still uses the tcl/tk 8.4 checked in the
sourceware.org repos. In my eyes there is no way using tcl/tk 8.4 for
windows 64bit. IMHO should the decision be taken to also update the
version insight comes with to a more modern version.

This is an area I'd like to see change. I know that I have *not* used the repo-supplied Tcl/Tk/itcl/iwidgets for well over two years. Instead I use the system-supplied RPMs (Fedora 15).

But I'll bet that for Cygwin (and probably MinGW, too), we'll have to keep using the in-repo version.

gdbtk:
Mainly get rid of very long time deprecated tcl api which is no longer
present in 8.6 plus some 64bit windows changes and a small needed bugfix
in global preferences dialog.

Sounds good.

libgui:
libgui hasn't seen any love for a very long time. I tried to keep my
changes as minimal as possible, but to get it compiled for a 64bit
windows and against newer tcl/tk required some changes.

Yeah, this stuff is way out of date, and to be honest, I'm not really sure how much of it is used nowadays anyway. I few bits and pieces, I'm sure (preferences, the tktable widget, one or two other bits). Since I seldom (if ever) use windows, I am forced to rely on feedback/help from actual users.

iwidgets:
Need to be updated to version 4.0.2 (from 4.0.1) to work with tcl/tk 8.5
and up. I did (yet) not make any private changes here.

I have been using 4.0.2 locally (again, on Fedora), so that should not be a problem.

itcl:
I updated to version 3.4.1. The old 3.3 does not work well with newer
tcl/tk versions. I took the itcl initscript (with small changes) from
itcl4 so it works also with newer tcl/tk.

Indeed. I've been using 3.4.7. All this speaks to a bigger question: would it be possible to release system-supplied versions of tcl, tk, itcl, itk, and iwidgets for Cygwin? I'm not sure how Chris, Corinna, et al would feel about this, though. I don't know who would offer to maintain those packages.

Now I am revisiting all my patches and want to send them the next days.
I think I will start with gdbtk and libgui. I will try to group them in
logical portions.

Any suggestions/objections?

Absolutely no objections. Send your patches along. [As I mention in response to your other message, I may have to ask for an assignment form. Unfortunately, despite my efforts through the years, I cannot seem to get the FSF and Red Hat to agree to assigning ownership of gdb/gdbtk and libgui to the FSF, so I need an assignment similar to what is used for Cygwin contributions. Email me off-list and I can send you the form.]