Re: update to insight?

On 02/10/2013 02:56 PM, Brian Phillips wrote:

Please bear with me - in the past, I've dabbled with C and assembly, but
that was long ago, and I never really had to mess with configuring much
(it was a hobby).  But now, I want to put more effort into learning
assembly (still as a hobby, though).

No problem -- I haven't actively looked at assembly much in the last decade, either. All that Java got in the way. [I worked on Eclipse for several years. After that, I wrote JDWP/JVMTI implementations for gcj/gij and classpath.]

I don't know what you mean by 'configure triple'.  I'm using a PKGBUILD
at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/insight/ - you can view the
PKGBUILD from the web page, if you like.  If you look there, you might
also look at the comments at the bottom of the page, as well as this
thread, started by me in the forums:

The configure triple is what gdb displays when you type "show version". This is what you pass to configure using the --host, --target, --build arguments. [If you don't specify anything, the build uses config.guess to "guess" --build=--target=--host.

For example, on my Fedora box, my configure triple is "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu" (as reported by src/config.guess). What does config.guess return for you?

AFAICT, There seems to be a bug in gcc-4.7.2 with a "struct siginfo"
that should be "struct siginfo_t", per this page:
http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00414.html

At any rate, other users get stuck with errors like this:
"/home/briphi/builds/gcc46/src/gcc-4.6.3/libgcc/../gcc/config/i386/linux-unwind.h: In function âx86_fallback_frame_stateâ:
/home/briphi/builds/gcc46/src/gcc-4.6.3/libgcc/../gcc/config/i386/linux-unwind.h:138:17: error: field âinfoâ has incomplete type
make[3]: *** [unwind-dw2.o] Error 1"

Hmmm... Where are these errors occurring? I don't even see these files in the build -- not in bfd, gdb, or insight.

This applies to me in trying to build older versions of gcc (the snippet
above applies to building gcc-4.6.3) and the same applies to configuring
'insight'

With my limited knowledge and in using the PKGBUILD at
aur.archlinux.org, I'm pretty much stuck to using the source provided in
that script, which is 6.8.1a from sourceware.org.  I've tried to monkey
with the source line here, adjusting the first md5sum as needed, but
didn't get any where, due to the linux-unwind.h error above.

I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 12.10. Would you mind explaining
what I should do to build from source on Ubuntu?  So far, I've tried
uncompressing the source, and compiling from an alternate directory
using just "../src/configure", but that gave me the following errors:

config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing default-1 commands
config.status: executing bfd_stdint.h commands
config.status: executing default commands
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/brian/builds/insight/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/brian/builds/insight/bfd/po'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/brian/builds/insight/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/brian/builds/insight/bfd'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/brian/builds/insight/bfd'
make[2]: *** [info-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brian/builds/insight/bfd'
make[1]: *** [all-bfd] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brian/builds/insight'
make: *** [all] Error 2

There's not enough context here. I don't see the actual error. In any case, you should be able to build on Ubuntu -- that is one of the test platforms that I test.

Caveat: When I say you *should*, unfortunately, I stretch the truth a tiny bit. You should be able to checkout CVS HEAD insight and build that without problems (I have done that here). What you cannot do (without patches from me) is build insight without using the Tcl, Tk, Itcl, and Iwidgets from the repository (which is Tcl/Tk 8.4) *and* a 64-bit OS.

[WARNING: The default fonts for Insight with repository tcl et al are HORRIBLE. Click Preferences->Global... and change them! "clean" looks good to me.]

I have patches to make this work using your system Tcl, Tk, Itcl, but I haven't found Itk and Iwidgets in anywhere. [Itcl is included with Tcl, but Itk is not included with Tk.] So for now, use the repository Tcl, Tk, Itcl/Itk/Iwidgets. There are a bunch of warnings, but those can be ignored AFAIK.

If you want python support (recommended, especially for C++ pretty-printers), you must install the python2 package. Otherwise, base-devel contained pretty much everything I needed to build gdb/insight.

And regarding building gbd, will I be okay doing this in a /home/user
directory?  I don't want to screw up my Ubuntu (or Arch) install, so I'm
a bit hesitant.

No problems. Just give configure a "--prefix" option and it will install to that location, e.g., --prefix=/home/me/insight-built will install everything to /home/me/insight-built without messing with your system directories.