Re: kawa numerics help?

At 11:13 PM 6/29/98 -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
>2) If someone wants a non-trivial but finite project that would
>help Kawa (and specifically help finish the format routine),
>I would love to have someone implement the floating-point
>conversion code.  Ideally, I would like to have someone transcribe
>David Gay's code from C into Java, but using the gnu.math MPN and
>IntNum classes, instead of Gay's bignum implementation.  Gay's code
>is in:
>
>       ftp://netlib.bell-labs.com/netlib/fp/gdtoa.tar.gz
>
>The specific function needed is a Java version of dtoa.c.
>The challenge is to understand the numerics well enough to
>re-implement the (lightly-commented) algorithms in Java.

I downloaded Gay's code and checked it out.  The code is certainly rather
opaque!

Gay's implementation is based on an article by Guy Steele and Jon L. White (no
relation):
<http://researchsmp2.cc.vt.edu/DB/db/conf/pldi/pldi90.html>
Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN'90 Conference on Programming Language Design
and
Implementation (PLDI), White Plains, New York, June 20-22, 1990. SIGPLAN
Notices
25(6) (June 1990)
Guy L. Steele Jr., Jon L. White: How to Print Floating-Point Numbers
Accurately.
112-126

It would be very helpful to have a copy of that article (it does not appear on
the web AFAIK).

I have also located an implementation in Modula-3 (Steele's & White's
algorithm
is known as "Dragon") which may help to illuminate Gay's code:
<http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/m3sources/html/float/src/Common/Dra
gonT.m3.html>

While I have no particular expertise in numerical algorithms, I did have
success is fixing bugs in Kawa's MPN, so I am willing to give this a shot.
However, if someone else wants to do this, I am happy to let them!

If anyone can get a copy of that article for me, I would really appreciate it
(perhaps you have convenient access to a library with the SIGPLAN Notices and
could scan and email the article to me?).

jim
James P. White                        Netscape DevEdge Champion for IFC
Director of Technology Adventure Online Gaming http://www.gameworld.com
Developers of Gameworld -- Live Action Role-Playing and Strategic Games
jim@pagesmiths.com        Pagesmiths' home is http://www.pagesmiths.com