This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Kawa project.
- To: "Daniel Bonniot" <bonniot at cma dot ensmp dot fr>
- Subject: Re: gnu.math.Numeric
- From: Per Bothner <per at bothner dot com>
- Date: 04 Feb 2000 09:27:51 -0800
- Cc: "Kawa" <kawa at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>
- References: <email@example.com>
"Daniel Bonniot" <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Is there a reason for gnu.math.Numeric.mul_ident() not to be static, or is
> this an typo ?
I had a vague idea that if you extended Numeric to some other Ring,
it still makes sense to define the power method by repeated squaring.
Than x**0 would be the mutliplicative identity of whatever
algebra x is in; it would not necessary be the number zero.
That's probably not the right way to do it, though. The right way
probably involves using parameterized types, which will hopefully
be available in Java one of these days.