Re: continued troubles migrating from 1.6.1

I have read through this thread and rather than recapping much, I'll deal
with the few things I feel may be of help for Mr. Potts and anyone else
dealing with Kawa on the Macintosh.

07/05/2000 15:18, Per Bothner <per at bothner dot com> writes:
> Er, the .jar file *is* a built version of all these classes.
> You can always use the jar tool (if you have it ...) to extract
> the .class files.

On the Macintosh jar is available with the MRJ SDK, I'm not sure what tools
CodeWarrior has, but I would have the SDK on hand for the tools it provides.
While the MRJ-SDK/MPW tool set may not be as nicely integrated as
CodeWarrior, they are more analogous to the command line environments. I
think one could probably mix and match when developing under CW.

> I assume you've checked out:
> http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eathene/scheme/mackawa.html
> (It does look like it needs to be updated, though.)

I need to get on that. More on this follows next quote.

07/06/2000 19:10, Paul R. Potts <potts@umich.edu> writes:
> The problem is that with Java, the development environment isn't just
> launching your program, it is building a JBindery application, and then that
> application with Macintosh Runtime for Java... the JBindery application then
> has the name of the class it is supposed to use to launch your application.
> But the development environment doesn't really know what is going on at this
> point!

I would recommend switching from JBindery to Apple's new MRJAppBuilder
included with the SDK. It uses a text based property file when building Java
apps, has a more elegant way of including the classpath for stand alone
apps, and uses native PPC startup code whereas JBindery uses 68K.

I will be writing a more comprehensive description of using Kawa with
MRJAppBuilder soon and add it to an updated version of my Kawa on the
Macintosh page. I will email information to anyone who requests it during
the interim.

((lambda (args) (display args)) "
    Robert D. Skeels
    Assistant Research Scientist