Re: Kawa fails to make on 2 different Linux boxes (long)

"Robert D. Skeels" <robertd@synchrotech.com> writes:

> I am hoping that the following stdout's will be helpful in tracking down a
> make problem, albeit they make for a long message. Since I am not really
> that Unix savvy, I can't tell what to do next. Both of these attempts to
> make Kawa are from source freshly updated via CVS. Neither seem to have any
> errors in 'config.log' after ./configure. Both fail during make -- the
> output here is following a second make to skip output for things that
> successfully compile. The first is on an x86 box with RH Linux 6.0, the
> second on a PPC box with RH Linux 5.0 running atop the MkLinux distro. I
> used to be able to make Kawa on the PPC box until after 1.6.6, I've never
> had any luck with it on the x86 box.

I know that the 'javac' installed in RH 6.x will not work.  It does not
handle cross-package references properly.  That 'javac' is *not* the
one from JDK, but is instead 'kjc' (whatever that is) running under Kaffe.

RH 6.x does come with Jikes.  I had some problems with that version,
so I updated to Jikes 1.12 (rpm's available from
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jikes/project/download/).
I've only started using Jikes, but so far I like it.  (Very fast, but it
does cause some new warnings.)  However, Jikes is only a compiler;
you still need the class libraries and a runtime.  I am going to try
Kaffe, but haven't really so far.

What I have been doing is use JDK 1.2.2.  You can download that from
Sun's Java site.  Then adjust your PATH appropiately, for example:
        PATH=/opt/jdk1.2.2/bin:$PATH
(assuming /opt/jdk1.2.2/bin is the directory that contains javac).
You should then be able to build and run Kawa.