kawa use of java 2 collections

I'm been doing some redesign of the Kawa Sequence classes (those
that inherit from gnu.kawa.util.Sequence).  One of the changes I am
considering is making Sequence implement the java.util.List interface
and in general be compatible with the Java 2 Collections framework.

This should probably not effect Kawa users - except that you will no
longer be able to run Kawa on a JDK 1.1 system or similar.  There are
standalone implementations of the collection classes that can be used
with JDK 1.1, though there may be complications using those with
applets.  (Browsers may disallow adding noew classes in hava.util for
security reasons.)  Another alternative is I can write a little script
(or use some Java pre-processor) to comment out the dependencies on
Collections.

So the questions is: Would requiring the Java 2 collection classes be
a hard-ship for anyone using Kawa?  How may people are still stick with
JDK 1.1?  Any other comments on the wisdom or lack thereof of such a
change?