Re: Problem with define-private

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Nic Ferrier wrote:

> >What do those developing in Kawa do about the difference
> >between source and compiled code?
>
> I use emacs and my own kawa-mode (derived from Paul Kinnucan's JDE
> mode) which allows me to quickly change classpaths and destination
> directories so that I can compile and run but  also just interpret
> (using the classpath for my project).

What I mean is that I can't use define-private in interpreted modules,
because it actually causes an error (as I described) when I run them. Once
I think I've almost finished the module, I can go through and put in the
define-privates, switching to use it in compiled mode; but if I then
decide that I need to muck around with it and do some more interactive
testing, I have to take them all out again.

> I've been meaning to post the kawa-mode for some time but my website
> is in the middle of major revamp and it won't get done till that's
> finished. When I've posted it I'll send a message here.
>

> >At the moment, I'm using it for a new project in which
> >I'm working on several different modules (and the Java
> >classes they use) simultaneously, still trying to arrive at
> >more than a tentative structure for each.
>
> You mean you haven't created a firm design for the code before you
> start?!!???!
>
> Shame on you.
>
> Sherioushly though: I haven't found a really good way to resolve this
> issue. I tend to develop small procs in the interpreter (faking input)
> and then plug them into my modules which I compile and debug in the
> usual way.
>
> Since we don't have a debugger for Kawa yet, Per's dump class is a
> pretty valuable debugging tool.

Didn't know about that. Is it in the distribution?