    From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
    To: "Nic Ferrier" <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk>
    Cc: kawa@sourceware.cygnus.com
    Subject: Re: string srfi
    Date: 26 Feb 2001 19:19:26 -0800

    "Nic Ferrier" <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

    > Is there any interest from anybody in seeing a Kawa implementation of
    > the string srfi? (by olin shivers).

    It would probably be desirable.  I am concerned about the license of
    the reference implementation.  I don't think clause 2 or 3 of the
    MIT Scheme license (which covers part of the code) are compatible
    with the GPL, so cannot be distributed with Kawa.  However, a good
    part of the implementation, including the KMP string-search code
    (I guess the hardest part of the code) is covered by the scsh
    license, which I don't see any problems with.  Hopefully, Olin
    will be willing clarify which parts of the code are contaminated
    by the MIT Scheme license, so those can be re-implemented.