Re: future plans for XML?

Marco Vezzoli <marco.vezzoli@st.com> writes:

> I played with the new xml procedures; parsing seems to be fast and
> consumable printing is really interesting.

I'm hoping to make it more interesting.  I want print-as-xml to be
a FormatToConsumer object, for example.

> Do you have plans for XPath?

Well, there is a incomplete but fast implementation checked in.
When I'll have time to do more with it I don't know.

> The xml printer treats chars, strings and symbols the same way:
>
> #|kawa:6|# (define a '#( 1 2.2 #\a "a" a (a "a")))
> #|kawa:7|# (print-as-xml a)
> <#vector>1 2.2 a a a<list>a a</list></#vector>
>
> is it the way it was intended to work?

The goal is that you should be able to customize the xml printer, but
yes, I think the default of printing chars, strings, and symbols all
without quotation or escape characters makes sense.  It fits well with
the idea that printed output is a stream of charactes to be consumed.
There are issues about when to insert spaces and line breaks, though.