Re: java.in files

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Jim White wrote:

> At 09:49 PM 6/28/2001 +0100, Jocelyn Paine wrote:
> >I've just downloaded the latest Kawa and tried installing. This was under
> >Windows, so I was using makekawa.bat. Compilation failed because (amongst
> >other things) it couldn't find gnu.lists.SimpleVector.
> >What is the preprocessor? And is there a configuration stage that I must
> >go through before using makekawa to tell it whether I'm using collections?
>
> The preprocessor is sed.  It is handled by the GNU make makefile.
>
> I have used the Kawa makefiles successfully on Windows using Cygwin.  The
> only change is to add a couple `cygpath -wp` translations where the
> makefiles call Java.  At the moment that is probably the most direct route
> to building Kawa on Windows.

Thanks. I'd been following the 'Building Kawa under Windows' section
of the Kawa Web notes. This says that Cygwin has problems with filenames
which make using it under Windows more complicated than it should be, so
there's this simple batch file makekawa.bat been provided.

> I am working on an Ant build for Kawa, which will effectively eliminate the
> cross platform issues.  I would have had that done already but the need to
> do cygpath under Cygwin for Java got me completely off-track by trying to
> build Kaffe for Cygwin (I also started working on a Cygwin Java launcher
> for the Sun JDK).

That, or those, will be useful...

> jim

Jocelyn Paine