Re: unquote?

Mark Beierl <mark@texar.com> writes:

> if I use ,a or (unquote a), or just unquote by itself, I get  an unbound
> symbol for unquote.  I even tried the kawa/GuiConsole from the latest
> cvs sources, and I get the same thing.  Is unquote not bound, or am
> I missing the syntax?

Both - unquote has no specific binding *except* in the context
of a backquote.  In that case it "undoes" the quotation performed
by the backquote.  For example:
evaluates to:
        (+ 2 7 5)

The backquote `(+ ...) is the same a '(+ ...) *except* for the
part inside the unquote.

Trying to evaluate `a or (unquote a) in isolation (i.e. not
inside a backquote) has no meaning and is not defined.  Unquote
is recognizted at macro-evaluation time as part of backquote
processing.