Re: Kawa's docbook stylesheets

"Nic Ferrier" <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

> Would it be possible to put the stylesheets for the docbook
> documentation into the repository?

No, I don't think Docbook styleshets belong in the Kawa repository.
If you are referring to the hardwired path of
/home/bothner/sgml/docbook/html/docbook.xsl in the doc/Makefile,
that is clearly a bug, somewhat caused by the lack of clean
installation standards for docbook.

I've started using libxslt rather than xalan.  libxslt is much faster,
and it is used by Gnome.  Look at xmlsoft.org.  The libxslt 1.0
distribution include the docbooks stylesheets in the test directory.
This I believe is a  bug - the docbook stylesheets need to be a
separate package that gets installed into an appropiate /usr/share
sub-directory.

> I'm considering using docbook for Paperclips (and other doc) and I
> wanted to try out your style sheets. Also, it seems these would be a
> good place to start for standardising.

Yes.  It you look into http://www.bothner.com/per/papers/Freenix00
(non-browsable) and grab the files here (start with Makefile
TransformToLatex.java docbook-to-latex.xsl Freenix00.sgml) you'll
see how I translated Docbook to LaTeX for a paper.  This works
much better than the jade+jadetex stuff, which is very difficult to
understand and tweak.  This uses xalan, but something similar could
be done using xsltproc.  And something similar could be done to
translate docbook to texinfo, which I think would make Stallman
happy.