Building Kawa under Windows (Cygwin) won't compile

Just installed Cygwin on my NT system and tried building Kawa 1.6.94
from the sources under it. Running ./configure appears to work,
and creates the Makefiles. However, make fails with a load of compilation
errors part of the way through. Some of these are at the end of the
message.

Now, I've actually had this before. When I tried building 1.6.94
for the first time, in June, I didn't know what the .java.in files were,
so posted a query here and got told what they were. I then preprocessed
them to .java files, applying the appropriate options, and tried
compiling. I got the same compilation errors as I'm getting now under
Cygwin. At the time, I thought I must have done something wrong, but
the fact that I'm getting these errors by two different routes is
suspicious. It also suggests that whatever's going wrong isn't Cygwin's
fault. The distribution I'm using is the 1.6.94 gzipped tar from the Kawa
FTP site.

Jocelyn Paine

ApplyExp.java:34: class gnu.expr.PrimProcedure is an abstract class. It
can't be
    func = new QuoteExp(new PrimProcedure(m));
                        ^
GenericProc.java:10: class gnu.expr.GenericProc must be declared abstract.
It do
public class GenericProc extends MethodProc
             ^
GenericProc.java:10: class gnu.expr.GenericProc must be declared abstract.
It do
public class GenericProc extends MethodProc
             ^
GenericProc.java:53: Incompatible type for java.lang.RuntimeException.
Can't con
        if (method.match(vars, args) == 0)
                                     ^
GenericProc.java:63: Method mostSpecific(gnu.expr.MethodProc,
gnu.expr.MethodPro
                best = MethodProc.mostSpecific(best, method);
                                              ^
GenericProc.java:84: Incompatible type for method. Can't convert
gnu.bytecode.Ty
        int result = method.isApplicable(args);
                                         ^
GenericProc.java:100: Incompatible type for =. Can't convert
java.lang.RuntimeEx
        code = method.match(mvars, args);
             ^
GenericProc.java:110: Undefined variable: NO_MATCH
    return NO_MATCH;
           ^
GenericProc.java:123: class gnu.expr.GenericProc is an abstract class. It
can't
    GenericProc result = new GenericProc();
                         ^
ModuleMethod.java:17: class gnu.expr.ModuleMethod must be declared
abstract.