'read' not echoing characters

I've compiled a Kawa application which reads S-expressions and processes
them in a command loop into a class with a main method using the --main
option. I run it under Windows NT, by invoking the class from a DOS window
with 'java <classname>'. The call of (read) reads what I type, but doesn't
echo the characters until after I hit return, which means I can't see what
I'm typing.

Is Kawa behaving correctly here? I couldn't find in R5S5 any indication
that I should be using some kind of port other than the default. Or is it
a fummy with Windows Kawa, in which case a circumvention would be very
much appreciated.

Just for the record, here's the program:
  (module-name 'test)
  (module-static #t)

  (define input #!null)
    (invoke (static-field <java.lang.System> 'out) 'println "Hello\n" )
    (display "Hello") (newline)
    (set! input (read))
    (display "You input ") (display input) (newline)

If I type the single symbol a, say, it doesn't echo this until after
I hit return.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.ifs.org.uk/~popx/
+44 (0)7768 534 091