Re: IDE?

At 10:14 AM 12/16/2001 -0800, Olivier Lefevre wrote:
> > One of the main things I have been thinking of doing for Kawa for quite
> > some time now is implementing support for IFC. IFC is free [...]
>
>I don't know what makes you say that. I just tried downloading it again
>and had to agree to a very restrictive-looking "Netscape ONE" license
>first. Could you quote chaper and verse, please?

The source is (since the last release of IFC, 1.1.2) included in the list
of "redistributable elements".  See the file "/redist.txt" in ifc112.zip.

The IFC team had intended that IFC would then be open source (and it was
always free), but unfortunately some of the Netscape ONE language makes it
unclear whether it really is.  So, it isn't as free as I would like, and I
don't think it is practical at this late date to get it formally
GPL'd.  Although if someone were to distribute it that way, I don't think
it would ever get stopped, but without the formal approval there would
always be a cloud of doubt.

jim

James P. White     Pagesmiths' home is http://www.pagesmiths.com
Live free http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/quotable/quote04.htm