Compiling kawa with cygwin

Hi,

I tried to compile Kawa with Cygwin today.  I've been using the pure
Java version on Windows 2000 that is compiled with Ant, but I wanted the
readline support.  The changes needed to make the "./configure; make;
make check; make install" sequence is almost trivial.  But I don't know
where is the best place to make the changes.

Here's my hand made changes to various files:

1. config.sub: (config.guess outputs i686-pc-cygwin).

2. The JDK (1.3.1_01)'s javac has trouble understanding UNIX style
CLASSPATHs.  So everywhere in the Makefile the construct

  CLASSPATH=$(JAVAROOT):$(srcdir)/$(JAVAROOT):$$CLASSPATH

or something similar is used, the Cygwin utility command cygpath is used
to do the conversion.  Thus the line becomes

  CLASSPATH=`cygpath --path --windows
$(JAVAROOT):$(srcdir)/$(JAVAROOT):\`cygpath --path --unix $$CLASSPATH\``

I made five such changes to Make-rules before running configure.

3. For the KAWALIB variable in bin/Makefile, because it is used in C
code, I have to pipe the output of cygpath through sed that turns \ into
\\.  Because of the many levels of processing and escaping, the line
becomes

  WITHOUT_GCJ_DEFS = -DJAVA='"java"' -DKAWALIB=\"`cygpath --path
--windows $(datadir)/java/kawa-$(VERSION).jar | sed

4. For some reason, the following command is executed while make is
working in the bin directory

  gcc -g -O2 kawa.c -o kawa

which is wrong.  I have to add $(EXEEXT) to the kawa listed in the
bin_PROGRAMS line to get the correct result.

Everything else works!

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@networkusa.net