Re: Question on compiling to bytecode

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 08:58:26AM -0800, Per wrote:

> Another example is how Qexo uses jsr/ret to implement 'for'
> expressions.  This trick cannot be expressed in Java.

One silly thing you can do to protect your commercial code
from being decompiled is to use Kawa in a portion of your
code. I managed to crash a couple of decompilers as a proof
of concept to my colleagues ;-).

> Because bytecode can express things that Java cannot, you can
> actually get better optimization using bytecode rather Java.  It
> is just the Java-to-native compiler has to work harder.  So
> improve the latter.

Indeed. However, one thing we learned from JSP's experience is that,
with source code generated, we desperate developers got an
insurance of debugging even though it's a little tedious.
If we use Kawa in a runtime system, the error reporting has to be
able to do that. I believe many Common Lispers got the same
experience too.

Wen-Chun