Re: Java Streams, Kawa ouput, & OutPort

Hi Per,

Thanks for the quick reply! My comments below:

--On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 11:52 AM -0800 Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:

Erik Pearson wrote:
Kawa needs to coexist as part of a web pages template processor which
writes html or Jacl output to the servlet response stream independently
of Kawa.
You might consider (at least for new projects) using the KRL or
BRL dialect of Kawa (see the manual) for a nice template processor.
I'm sure that BRL and KRl are great -- but I've got a template processor that has been in use for a few years, and, for now at least, the scheme needs to co-exist with this other stuff. The template processor is separate form the scripting languages, and allows different behaviors to be plugged into different tags, etc.

For instance, since OutPort/PrintWriter seems to buffer independently of
the underlying stream it is possible to write to the PrintWriter first
(e.g. via Kawa), then write through the OutputStream via Jacl (or java)
and find that the second write appears in the stream first. In fact, if
output is not forced with a (newline myport) then nothing indeed may be
output at all.

Now some of this can be solved by the servlet handling the response port
interaction with Kawa a little smarter (like flushing the port after all
the scheme-ing is done). However, the main issue, I think, is that there
should be some way of making display, write, etc. atomic in relation to
getting the output through to the underlying stream. A simple flush at
the end of each call would be sufficient.
You means like the autoflush parameter that OutPort and PrintWriter
both support?
The autoflush seems to be tied into the println method of PrintWriter, and can be forced by calling Kawa's newline function, but this isn't reall the same thing as flush (well, you know that!)

However, to support more efficient sequences of output, it would also be
good to be able to control flushing behavior (i.e. flush at end of call
or not).

So one question is -- what would be the best method of controlling this?
The problem with actually flushing is that it flushes *all the way*.
That may mean (though I'm not sure) it sends the response-so-far to
the client, which we don't want.
Well there are certainly times when the programmer wants to send output immediately. E.g. if you are dealing with a page which generates a report and takes a few seconds, it is nice to have the output fully streamed in a manner that is under programmer control.

Best, I think, is to call forcePrettyOutput() on the PrettyWriter
which OutPort uses to do the actual buffering.  That sends the data
to the underlying Writer without forcing the latter to flush.
Of course then you still need to be able to

A field of the output port that can be controlled and queried via a
couple of functions.
Well, we could add methods to get and set the autoflush parameter,
but I think that's a bad idea, as it encourages inefficient programs.
Better to just add a flush call when you need it.
But then again, writing inneficient programs is the programmer's choice :)

Seriously, though, it would be nice to avoid this buffer layer. That is why the suggestion was to make this a behavior where buffering is enabled by default, but having the choice of turning it off.

Of course, in implementations where a scheme port is generated directly in the Java layer, as in my case, it is quite possible to enable buffering in order to make the stream itself be more effiecient. For interfacing with a servelet, the stream could even be a bytearray, which is just dumped into the request at the very end of the http session.

What I am looking for, really, is a way to make the invocation of output on a port to be predictable -- in that when (display x myport) is executed, it is possible to determine, as best I can, that the output has been sent to the outside world. I think the interface between Kawa and the world is the java stream and the OutPort to which it is provided.

Of course, i can avoid all this mess by just writing via raw java streams available through the great define() method of the Environment. However, I'd rather keep as much of the Scheme as vanilla as possible.

Thanks,

Erik.