Re: invoke-static

* Some of the Kawa run-time (gnu.bytecode, gnu.math, gnu.lists for
example) are generally useful libraries, and I don't want to have
them depend on the Kawa compiler.

I can only support this goal. I am using gnu.{bytecode,expr} and
packages they depend on to generate bytecode in my compiler for the Nice
language. Therefore, it makes sense to have no dependancies on scheme,
or other language specific code.
Last time I synchronized, there were still a few such dependancies,
although Per and I removed what could be done painlessly.

I thought it could actually be healthy to makr more clearly a barrier
between Kawa-the-multilanguage platform, and the different languages
that are built on it. Would it be a reasonable goal that everything
under the 'gnu' toplevel package would be language independant, while
things under 'kawa' would be language dependant?

At the moment, there are both gnu.kawa and kawa packages. Is there a
transition between the two? There are also gnu.jemacs, gnu.brl packages,
...,  that definitely don't belong to the "core".

Another solution would be to have a clear stratification of packages
dependancies, with a list of 'core' packages that don't depend on the
outside. In that case, it could make sense to move the core to a
different CVS repository. That would help advertise the core as a code
generation package, easily reusable to implement different languages.
Is that too big of a step at this point? How far are we from making this
separation possible?

Daniel