Native Kawa on OpenBSD 3.4/5-current followup

I was still getting show-stopping org.w3c.dom missing errors at make with --with-xml at configure time. Determined to fix it I tried downloading Sun's behemoth XML package, but it turns out that it requires J2SE 1.4*. Finally I found xerces-2_6_2 at the Apache Foundation. With those packages in the CLASSPATH, Kawa builds with both --with-xml and --enable-servlet.

I am still getting errors when including --with-swing and a series of rounding errors flagged during the testsuite run, but will work on those later. Encouraged by the above results, I decided to try creating a Kawa servlet to run under Tomcat. First I modified /etc/tomcat/tomcat.rc to use the native JDK instead of the Linux emulation one. Then I compiled the hello.scm kawa servlet example. After a long series of attempts of copying Kawa to the various Tomcat 'lib' directories and the compiled servlet to a working directory I got it to work. I will do a write up similar to the OS X one on my site as soon as I determine which directories are the right ones. Although OpenBSD specific, the above may be of help to NetBSD and FreeBSD usage since their native Java ports are only a little less recent. Uname and Java version follow.

OpenBSD egypt.local 3.5 EGYPT#7 i386
java version "1.3.1-p9" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-p9-root-2004-03-17-16:36) Classic VM (build 1.3.1-p9-root-2004-03-17-16:36, green threads, nojit)

((lambda (args) (display args)) " Robert D. Skeels athene@earthlink.net")