Re: Continuations for the JVM proposal

Jim White wrote:

Hi Gang.

Just encountered this:

http://vafer.org/blog/tcurdt/archives/000109.html

Some folks who want to get a JSR going to add continuations to the JVM. Don't know whether it will get anywhere but figured Per is exactly the sort of person they want to participate.

I'm not convinced it should be supported at the JVM level. For Scheme it seems like (efficient) tail-calls would be a higher priority. (If you have tail-calls, you can implement continuations by a relatively simple source-to-source translation.)

Coincidentally, right now I'm working on continuations for Kawa.
I'm not promising full continuations soon - but it might happen,
as part of a tail-call rewrite I'm working on.

Certainly, continuations are appealing for web-pages, and are
useful at the source code and design levels.  But they don't
need to be implemented by the JVM, though of course that improves
performance.

Maybe Kawa can show how continuations can be compiled to the
existing JVM with tolerable performance.