Re: Continuations for the JVM proposal

Jim White <jim@pagesmiths.com> writes:

> One of the great tragedies in the Java saga is that the ad hoc threading
> system was thrown in (which consequently had to be deprecated) rather
> than a continuation-based API which would have had meaningful formal
> semantics along with the rest of the JVM and which could have simplified
> the JSR-133 issues.

This is interesting. I've always thought the Java threading system
was a one of the better bits. It's quite easy to use and explain.

I've always thought this was down to good object design. Object has a
lock, like giving every object it's own mutex.

The trouble with continutions for threads, as far as I can see, is
that they don't play well with low level thread implementations. At
least, I've never seen an implementation that did.

Nic