Re: Defining Java Classes in Kawa

Dominique Boucher wrote:

Maybe I don't understand your point here, but let me disagree completely. Kawa does not make programming in Java simpler, it makes programming on top of the JVM a LOT more fun

Agreed, ANY Scheme makes programming a lot more fun.

(at least for those of us who happen to know
Scheme well),

IMHO I know Scheme well. Most of my projects I did in in Scheme in lasts 6 years.

while interfacing with existing Java code easily.

Not agreed.
As a general rule, avoid writing cross-language interfaces unless it is absolutely necessary.

Scheme and Java differ too much. Java is class-based, Scheme is not. Java types are statically checked, this is not true for Scheme etc.

And yes, you can write serious programs in Kawa Scheme, for real businesses.

Agreed. Also, you can write serious programs in any other Scheme implementation. Most of Java applications are written in plain Java language nethertheless.

Scheme makes us much more productive

agreed

and, since it's compiled to JVM bytecode, performances are really good.

performances are acceptable, if you need fast code, use Bigloo or Stalin. Instant cross-platform compatibility is the key.

Regards,

Vladimir Tsichevski