Re: extended "colon notation" [feedback needed]

Fernando.Matomira@thomson.com wrote:

In addition to the check-in features, I'm considering the following:
 (3) Accessing the java.lang.Class for a class type:
(TYPE:.class)

---------------------------

Using dots in symbols clashes with Franz's specification for
hierarchical packages, so no.

I don't believe so. Using Google I the following in http://www.franz.com/support/tech_corner/hierpackuser.lhtml

  In a nutshell, a dot (.) is used to separate levels in package names,
  and a leading dot signifies a relative package name.

Notice it is talking about dots in *package* names, not the (print-name of) symbols.

Of course Kawa supports dots in package names, and uses it for Java-package names, so in a sense we already implement hierarchical
package. What is missing is support for relative package names,
which could be easily added if it is desirable.
per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/