Re: New JVM verifier in Mustang

Gerardo horvilleur wrote:
I was reading Gilad Brach's blog about the new verifier for Mustang (
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/gbracha?entry=typechecking_jvml ),
and this part seems interesting:

"In Mustang, javac will generate the necessary type information in the
class files it produces. It won't generate code using jsr and ret
either (nor will other tools Sun releases). Other vendors may need
more time to catch up, which is why we will fall back to the old
verifier for a while."

Does this mean that they will now use CPS (Continuation Passing Style) ?

No. It has nothing to do with that. jsr/ret are not used for method calls. They're used to avoid duplicating a finally block for both the normal and exception cases. Instead they will go ahead and duplicate the code.

I guess sometime in the future (probably in a few years) Kawa will
need to be able the handle the new class file format.

Yes. It's a matter of generating the new StackMapTable attribute. Which requires not generating jsr/ret, which Kawa currently does. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/