Re: features inconsistency

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:10:58AM -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> Victor Anyakin wrote:
> >Greetings to All,
> >
> >  I would like to share my experience using Kawa interpreter.
> >
> >  Everything seems fine, but, it seems to me somewhat odd, how strings
> >  are processed.  There are lots of cases, when strings returned from
> >  java methods (of type <java.lang.String>) are not accepted by Kawa
> >  routines (like string->number).  Each time I pass or receive a
> >  string, extra care has to be taken, in order to ensure, that it will
> >  be normally processed.
>
> Yes, this is annoying, but it is to some extent unavoidable, since
> java.lang.String objects are immutable, and Scheme strings can be
> modified.
>
> I do hope to more automatically convert between the two types, but
> I haven't worked out the details.

  Having scheme strings automatically converted to java strings would
  be great (i think).  And, functions that operate on immutable
  strings could be made to accept parameters of ``immutable string'',
  so, that string->number would work for strings returned from java
  methods.

  My first impression working with Kawa is that it implements Scheme
  functionality very good, whereas Kawa to Java interoperability is
  not as good as it could be.

With best regards,
--
Victor Anyakin                         ()  ascii ribbon campaign
                                       /\    - against html mail