Kawa Compilation

In thinking about how to approach both compiling Kawa code, and also how to build an interface that will run within an Applet, it seemed that a good place to start might be with the example in the section "Compiling Scheme to an Applet" in the Kawa manual. However, I have not been able to get this to run. The compile process generates the warning, "scribble.scm : 5 : 41 : warning - use of 'this' not inside a class" (but no other errors). Class files are created, so I also tried the "jar" call. It is not exactly clear from the documentation where the needed Kawa classes for this stage should come from, but I added kawa.jar from the Kawa installation directory in place of "other-classes ...", and the jar processing ran without error, generating a large .jar file. But the Applet fails to run, producing the "Sorry, Java is needed" message under Windows, and showing the message "Applet failed" in the Linux file viewer.

I'm pretty confident my Windows set up is OK for Java Applets because the Sun SwingSet2 Applet runs fine there. What do I need to do to get scribble to run? (I'm using Kawa 1.8, Windows XP SP2, and IE 6.0.2900) I'd appreciate any pointers as to what to try next. Thanks.

Nigel Dolby.