Re: "Image-based development" with Kawa

> It should be trivial to generalize to a Reader (i.e. a sequence of
> characters), but taking an intermediate list structure may be harder.
> The Kawa compiler interleaves reading (chars -> lists) and expansion
> (lists -> internal form).

Ok, maybe I will look into this if my "primary plan" of serializing ArrayClassLoaders fails.

>> [..] The solution to my problem then would be to get hold of
>> this ArrayClassLoader and serialize it together with the ClassType
>> object representing the interactively defined class. When de- serializing
>> the class, I would have to de-serialize the associated ArrayClassLoader
>> and register it as a parent of the current ClassLoader.
>
> The last part sounds strange. It makes more sense to de-serialize the
> ArrayClassLoader, and get load the serialized class from the copied
> classloader.

Thank you very much for the clarifications, I can now see my own misconceptions. I am currently trying to get the (de-)serialization of ArrayClassLoaders to work. This seems to be a little more difficult than I hoped, due to the fact that ArrayClassLoader's map field is a mapping from class name to Class object at the time I query it (instead of a mapping from class name to byte[]).
XStream, which I use for serialization, simply writes the fully qualified class name when serializing Class objects and assumes that the de-serializing side's class loader knows how to find the named class, which of course fails in this scenario. I will try to solve this problem and contact you when/if I succeed.

Best regards,

Oliver

--
Oliver Flasch