Big picture regarding web programming possibilities

Thanks to Per's input, I had an easy install.

I now have some questions. Although I am a long-time web programmer,
I have not worked in enterprise - level projects, and I am
unfamiliar with java and tomcat. I hope that the questions I ask can
easily be answered and links to discussions would be sufficient.

I have considerable assets for web programming in other languages, I
have no interest in re-inventing in kawa what I have already done.
As far as web programming goes, my interest in kawa would be to
leverage java resources/libraries that do things that I don't
already do.

As an example: I learned javascript because javascript is a
*client-side* language. And it could work with the DOM in ways that
python or perl or rebol or C or any other server-side language could
not do.

So here we go:

1)Reiterating that I know nothing about the tomcat server - is it
possible to use kawa script to
  a) access components of the tomcat server?
  or
  b) to modify the tomcat server, and then access said components?

2)Is it possible for me - using kawa - to build a custom server that
would serve up java that could be used by any programming language
to accomplish things? Here's an example from another nice
programming language: the developer of *newlisp* has put together a
.jar file that listens on a port, accepts commands that (if
recognized) serves up gui methods. So, newlisp, which has no gui
functions, leverages java.

Note: There may be someone who wants to say "Just learn some code,
then try it." :) That would come next. I really want to know if I am
in the right place for me.

I hope that my questions are easy to understand.
thanks
--
Tim
tim@johnsons-web.com