Re: java/kawa hello world example

On 08/21/2010 12:55 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:

Well, no. It's the same protocol.

I read "Emacs then automatically connects to Lisp with a TCP socket" at http://www.cliki.net/SLIME-HOWTO which suggests to me there is more going on than just starting up a REPL.

The real problem is that "interactive programming" is not on Kawa's
priority list and it's supposed to be used as batch compiler.

Interactive programming is definitely on Kawa's priority list. It uses compilation-on-the-fly heavily, of course, for repls, eval, and the web-server support.

What is not as high a priority is heavy use of eval and dynamic
scoping.  (Rather: I tend to discourage it, because people
tend to over-use it - at least that is my impression.)

(Though I just checked in some major changes to the
dynamic variable support to make it work better in a multi-threaded
environment even if you just use raw Java threads, rather than
Kawa futures.)

One feature that would require more than simple REPL I/O is
M-. - if you're in a Lisp/Scheme buffer, that should take you
to the definition.  To do that robustly needs compiler help
- at least the compiler needs to emit the appropriate mapping
tables.  Doubly nice if M-. in a Kawa buffer can take you
to the definition in a Java source file.