Contributing to Kawa under Google Summer of Code 2011

Hello,
My name is Yakov and I'm a second-year computer engineering major in
Tel-Aviv university.
As you've probably guessed, I would like to participate in the Kawa project.
I have a solid understanding of Java and a reasonable knowledge of Scheme.
My experience in Java is academic. I've implemented red-black trees,
binomial heaps and such.

My interest in Kawa is aesthetic really. I've seen a few languages and
paradigms so far, from MIPS assembly to Java and Scheme
and I think that Scheme and functional programming generally are very
elegant. So, I would like to learn more about Scheme, Java and
compiler technology and contributing to Kawa seems like a reasonable
way to do so.

After going over the ideas page, I consider the following ideas as
something I can accomplish on time:
1. make the compiler use class-file reading
2. add support for parametrized types
3. add some common lisp support

So far, I've read through a large part of available documentation and
I've successfully installed an run Kawa.

What would be the next step?

Thanks in advance,
 Yakov Danishevsky