Re: unquote in quasisyntax

On 02/06/2012 01:20 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:
* Per Bothner [2012-02-06 08:21] writes:

Perhaps the cleanest solution is warn about the old unquote syntax
*unless* srfi-72 is explicitly requested, with a require or import.
Or perhaps that is overkill?  How many would like Kawa to really
support SRFI-72?

R6RS semantics should be used instead of SRFI-72. Dybvig and the Racket gang seem to write all the relevant documentation about this stuff, so using #, is less surprising.

I agree, but i think we should support using , for backward compatibilty, at least for a release or two.

The options I'm considering are (in all cases #, and unsyntax work):

(1) Commma/unquote while nested in quasisyntax works, but causes a
"deprecated" warning.  In the future support might be removed.
This is what is currently checked in.
(2) Commma/unquote while nested in quasisyntax works.  No warning is
emitted, or perhaps on with certain flags.
(3) The warning is normally emitted, but doing (require 'srfi-72)
shuts off the warning.  In the future, support for comma/unquote might
be removed unless in the context of a (require 'srfi-72).

I would like to see is that #,X is read as (unsyntax X) and #,@X as
(unsyntax-splicing X).  E.g. (car '#,1) should evaluate to the symbol
unsyntax.

That would require removing support for srfi-10. We might consider #s instead. Or perhaps some other syntax for extended literals. (I'm actually more motivated on figuring out a extended-string-literal syntax.) -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/